Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Sunday, February 6, 2011

The best room in the house.

One of the questions I've repeatedly been asked during my pregnancy is "How will you decorate the nursery? What is your theme?" Planning the nursery wasn't something I had all drawn out before we got pregnant (hard to believe, I know, since I'm such a perfectionist). When we found out we were having a girl, the only thing I knew was that I wanted it to be pink...of course! When we finally started piecing it together, I didn't really have a theme other than the colors- pink and green. But I suppose if I had to choose a theme for Emma Claire's nursery, I would say it has been handmade with love. 

Chris and I have spent numerous hours in Emma Claire's room working on every aspect to make it perfect. We can't even remember what it looked like before we started working on it! The walls, painted by Chris, his dad and my dad, turned out to be the same color pink that is in the room I grew up in at my parent's house in Mobile. After we got the furniture, Chris and I decided to paint and distress a table we've had for several years. Much like the walls in her room, the first color we chose wasn't the final color. After lots of sandpaper and several coats of paint, we ended up with a "jalapeno jelly" green table.

Here's the before and after...
After the debate of what to use as a table next to the glider, Chris decided to build an end table for us to paint and distress. I was impressed with the way it turned out, and know it means a lot more for Emma Claire to have something made by her Daddy then something from a store. 


The next step was the bedding. Once the fabric came in, my mother-in-law and I started working on the bumpers. She gave me a sewing machine for Christmas, and I decided Emma Claire's bedding was a good project for learning how to sew. I made all of the pillow inserts for the bumpers (the part that nobody sees), and left the actual bumpers to the professional. They turned out SO precious and are so special because Emma Claire's Jen Jen and Mommy made them :) Aside from the pillows in the bumpers, I made a blanket for Emma Claire. While the seams aren't perfect, I'm proud of my first attempt at sewing! Jen Jen made the bedskirt, which was the finishing touch on the bedding. 


Now, the light fixture was a great debate in our house. When I told Chris I wanted a chandelier to replace the fan in the room, he looked at me like I had lost my mind. So, I decided I would just give it up and not worry about having a chandelier in her room....until I found the perfect compromise: a chandelier light fixture that would replace the existing light fixture on the fan. I thought I had found a pretty good deal on a beautiful fixture with pink shades. Chris said, "Oh, I'm glad you were able to find a cheap one." I replied, "Me, too! $100 sure isn't bad for a pretty fixture!" Apparently, I missed the sarcasm in his voice when he informed me that he was kidding on it being cheap. But, hey, at least we reached a compromise! I screamed in excitement when he hung it up. And guess what...he loves it, too!


With the bedding complete and the chandelier installed, all that was missing was my glider. That's right, I said MY glider. Our original plan was to only have one chair in her room. However, one night Chris said, "I want a chair back here, too. I know there will be some nights where I'll sit in here with you to feed her and put her to sleep. I want a chair to sit in." (I will hold him accountable to that during those 3 A.M. feedings!) Luckily, we have a club chair that is a neutral color that fits nicely on the other side of the end table he built. Getting my glider in was the final piece to completing the nursery. We weren't sure if we would have to move the crib or dresser any to make room for it (its a mega-sized chair), so we waited to hang up the mirror and painting above the dresser until we got the chair in. Chris and I called the furniture store often to ask the status of our order. It finally arrived at the store this past Wednesday, but unfortunately, we had a massive downpour of sleet and freezing rain that kept us from being able to pick it up. Once the sun was out on Saturday, we were there with a truck ready to bring it home. And it looks perfect in the nursery!

Now all we are missing is the window treatment!

This mirror came from my bedroom at my parents' room. I painted the Tinkerbell painting last year, not knowing it would be the perfect piece for our sweet little girl's room. 

I recently painted this to hang above my glider. Its never too early for a girl to have a little inspiration from Cinderella :)

Chris and I have put a lot of love and hard work into Emma Claire's room, and it couldn't have turned out any more perfect! Every night, we find ourselves sitting in her room, talking about our day at work, making final plans before she arrives and dreaming of how it will be when she is finally here. My dad had it right when he told me this weekend that Emma Claire's room was a sanctuary for us to retreat to after a long day; a place to remember what joys we have to look forward to in that room (even if they are at 3 A.M). Even Daisy and Minnie go and sit in Emma Claire's room. I guess they are practicing being big sisters and watching over their baby sister. 








No comments:

Post a Comment